xl(4) & polling

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 01:11:58 PDT 2005

--- Subhro <subhro.kar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/2005 13:13, Rob wrote:
>
> >--- Subhro <subhro.kar at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>1000 IMHO seems a bit too heavy. Try something
> >>lower.
> >
> > Same problem. Ssh-tunnel connection is also
> > disrupted with HZ=100. May I conclude that the
> > HZ value is not the culprit? Or should I try
> > once again with HZ=10?
> >

> 100 should be fine. 10 would be a bit too much
> overkill.
>
> >kern.ipc.nmbclusters is 4928 for this PC.
> >Is that good or bad?
> >

> What is the purpose of the box? Give a description
> of the network traffic.

This is a lab in the Chemistry department; the box
in question is a dual-homed gateway to eight other
PCs in the lab. The box has a tight firewall, and
runs an apache server and an SSH server.
On the private network, the box also runs as a DHCP
server, Samba server and NTP server.
OS = 5-Stable.

The other PCs in the lab are two FreeBSD PCs and
various flavours of Windows.

> Did you use any strange CFLAGS like -O3 or -f*
> compile time options when you built the system?

No. My /etc/make.conf has:

CFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE=true
NO_PF=true

>> kern.polling.enable: 0
>
> Force this to be 1. Damn I should have noted it
> earlier

I took this printout after I changed the value to 0.
Of course it is 1 when I test the polling, but when
I noticed that the ssh-tunnel connection problem
persisted, I changed it to 0; so that my ssh-tunnel
connection is not randomly closed :).

Thanks for your elaborate help!

Rob.