/usr/ports/devel/gettext will not build from ports on 5.4-Release?

W C woodycarey at hotmail.com
Tue May 10 15:43:07 PDT 2005

Hi all,

My assumption here is that this should "just work" on a fresh 5.4-R box
installed from CD.
I installed the kern-developer configuration, stressed tested the system by
rebuilding the stock kernel, and then dove happily into the ports tree.

Fresh install off of cd burnt from ISO image.  I checked the md5 sum on the
.iso before I burnt it to cd.  Lots of ports are failing to build, due to
being dependent on gettext.

Here is the error from the gettext build:

<snip>
Making all in gettext-tools
make  all-recursive
Making all in intl
Making all in lib
/bin/sh /usr/local/bin/libtool15 --mode=link cc  -O -pipe   -L/usr/local/lib
-o libgettextlib.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -release 0.14.1
../intl/libintl.la -L/usr/local/lib -liconv -R/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -liconv -R/usr/local/lib -no-undefined allocsa.lo
argmatch.lo backupfile.lo  addext.lo basename.lo c-ctype.lo classpath.lo
closeout.lo  copy-file.lo csharpcomp.lo csharpexec.lo error.lo
error-progname.lo execute.lo fatal-signal.lo findprog.lo  fstrcmp.lo
full-write.lo fwriteerror.lo gcd.lo getopt.lo  getopt1.lo hash.lo
javacomp.lo javaexec.lo linebreak.lo  mbswidth.lo obstack.lo concatpath.lo
pipe-bidi.lo pipe-in.lo  pipe-out.lo progname.lo progreloc.lo safe-read.lo
safe-write.lo sh-quote.lo stpncpy.lo strtoul.lo tmpdir.lo  wait-process.lo
xmalloc.lo xstrdup.lo xallocsa.lo xerror.lo  xreadlink.lo xsetenv.lo
localcharset.lo getline.lo getndelim2.lo canonicalize.lo
libtool15: link: `javaexec.lo' is not a valid libtool object
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gettext/work/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-tools/lib.
*** Error code 1

What incredibly stupid thing can I be doing wrong here on such a fresh
-RELEASE box?

Regards,

Woody Carey

P.S.  Please don't say "cvsup ports tree", or "upgrade to -STABLE".  I do
believe 5.4-R dropped _yesterday_, and for something so "fresh", things
should "just work".  Peace.