Apache + Caching DNS: conflict at bootup? (DNS runs too late)

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 22:24:20 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm running 5-Stable as of today.
The PC is a dual-homed gateway to a local network,
a caching nameserver, httpd server, firewall etc.

In /etc/rc.conf, I have:

  named_enable="YES"
  apache2_enable="YES"

The nameserver works fine after bootup, so I suppose
that the named.conf is properly configured as a
caching nameserver.

After bootup, there's no httpd running, so I have
to start it manually.
During the bootup, following line occurs in
httpd-error logs:

 hostname nor servname provided, or not known:
     mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of
     "my.host.name"

(I faked "my.host.name" in this email, but
it is an officially registered hostname + IP)

I solved the problem, by commenting out the line

 LoadModule unique_id_module
                   libexec/apache2/mod_unique_id.so

in httpd.conf.

But I think the actual problem is that there's a
conflict in bootup order of the caching nameserver
and the apache server.

Some time ago, there was (or still is) a similar
conflict with hostname resolution at bootup when
using ntpd.

Somehow the caching nameserver seems to get up and
working too late in the boot process. Is that
possible?

Regards,
Rob.