Current status of nullfs and/or unionfs?

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Thu May 5 11:09:38 PDT 2005

Eirik Øverby writes:
 > [...]
 > What can I expect to see when trying nullfs and/or unionfs today? Has
 > anything changed? Do I have even a remote chance of making it work - and if
 > it doesn't work, what are my chances of anyone having time or energy to look
 > into it? I'm an admin only, no coder, otherwise I'd be happy to look into it
 > myself.

I'm using unionfs to mount a copy of my ports tree into a jail on a
fairly currently patched 5.3 system.  It works beautifully except that
it sometimes can't be unmounted as the machine shuts down, leading to
an fsck.

I've been trying to characterize it.  Seems like I can mount it, start
a jail, stop the jail, and unmount it just fine.  However if I do
anything in the jail's ports tree, then it won't unmount.  Last
experiment I did was to log into the jail and do a couple of 'syncs',
then log out, shut the jail down and unmount it.  That worked that one
time.

Not enough to file a bug yet, but the anecdote might be useful.

g.