FreeBSD 5.4 release status

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Mon May 2 15:20:50 PDT 2005

On 5/2/2005 3:14 PM, Chris wrote:
> On 4/30/05, Claus Guttesen <kometen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>As you probably noticed, we are a bit behind on the 5.4 release.  There
>>>was a major stability problem reported several weeks ago in a particlar
>>>high load, high profile environment, and we decided that it was in
>>>everyones best interest to get it resolved before the release.  Well,
>>>thanks to the tireless efforts of Doug White and Stephen Uphoff and
>>>several others, the bug has been found, fixed, and verified.  As soon
>>>as it and a few other fixes get merged in, we will start the RC4 build
>>>process and hopefully release it for testing late this weekend.  After
>>>that, unless another show-stopper comes up, we expect to build and
>>>release 5.4-RELEASE next weekend.
>>
>>Nice to hear. I have a four-way opteron-postgresql-server which is
>>running low on disk-space, larger disks are right next to my desk,
>>just waiting :-)
>>
>>Are there any finer details related to the four-way or larger-bug?
>>
>>regards
>>Claus
>
> Hi I am abit confused here, have seen a post from someone using
> 5.4-STABLE how is that possible if 5.4 isnt RELEASE yet, and good news
> on the bug fix.

When RELENG_5_4 was branched, RELENG_5 went from 5.4-PRERELEASE to
5.4-STABLE to reflect that it is once again open for less-restricted
development.  As 5.4 will be released via the RELENG_5_4 branch, it is
normal and expected to have 5.4-STABLE around before 5.4-RELEASE.

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr at alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195