PostgreSQL in FreeBSD jails

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Mon May 2 14:29:27 PDT 2005

On 5/2/2005 4:03 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> yOn Mon, 2 May 2005, Richard Coleman wrote:
>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>>> There are two possible solutions:
>>>
>>>  - hack the SysV IPC code to use separate namespaces for each jail
>>>
>>>  - make PostgreSQL use POSIX shared memory instead of SysV shared
>>>    memory
>>>
>>> I suspect that the latter is significantly easier, and would probably
>>> improve performance as well.
>>>
>>> DES
>>
>> It might be easier to hack PostgreSQL so that the shared memory
>> identifier depends not only on the port, but also on the IP address
>> (which will of course be different for each jail).  Or better yet, to
>> be able to specify the shared memory identifier to use directly in the
>> config file.
>
> You've all lost me here ... what exactly is the problem?  PostgreSQL
> works under FreeBSD 4.x jails without any modifications, so how is
> PostgreSQL itself currently broken?  It seems to me that the problem is
> with FreeBSD 5.x's jail side of things, if the same daemon runs fine
> under 4.x, but, nto under 5.x ...

 From my reading on this thread:
PostgreSQL generates the shared memory identifier based on the port it
is running on, but (on 5.x at least) shared memory is not segregated
between jails.  Thus, a new instance will corrupt the shared memory of
another instance (in another jail, on another IP address, etc.) *if*
they are running on the same port.  The workaround is to ensure every
instance (regardless of jail or IP address) is running on a unique port.

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr at alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195