wifi limited to 180KBps

Carl Gustavsson carl at thegoodone.mine.nu
Sun May 1 12:21:09 PDT 2005

Marco Stroosnijder wrote:

>Carl,
>
>Just a hunch... asymetric I/O in your pccard slot?
>Try geting and puting files via ftp between the two hosts.
>There is a big differance between getting and putting files!!
>(number of reads and writes from "pccard slot")
>I had problems with normal ethernet 100 Mbit pccards 750 KB max "write".

My wireless network consists of a server with a PCI wifi card (Netgear
MA311) which acts as a accesspoint and a laptop (Dell Lattitude D600)
with a Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini-PCI card. The problem is with the
MA311-card.

>Wireless links have 2-10 % package loss by default.
>To check for package loss or for a general bad link, I just use ping
>-a/-A to hear if packets are lost. Ping will be auditable on i.e. in
>case of failure, this beats the crap out of watching those sequence
>numbers. This may also show succes and failure in bursts.
>
>Maybe you should (if possible) adjust the rate to 11Mbps or (try to)
>"enforce" it from the "other side". Most likely using ifconfig +mediaopt
>

>>wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
>>

>According to the ifconfig output the wi0 interface is 2Mbps
>(DS/2Mbps <hostap>)
>
>Further down your output you find this:
>

>>TX rate (selection):                    [ 11 ]
>>TX rate (actual speed):                 [ 2 ]
>>

>2Mbit = (theo. aprox.) 256 KBytes -
>minus package loss and other factors = 220 KBytes MAX (?)...
>Maybe 180 KBytes is not so bad?
>
>My 2 cents,
>Marco Stroosnijder

The problem is that it won't set to 11Mbps. It's a bug.
There is a hack to lock the rate at 11Mbps but when you got bad signal
it don't go down as it should and you get high packet loss.
See:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-February/010102.html

- Carl