ALTQ, pf and VLANs

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Thu Mar 31 07:46:25 PST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 04:38, Marko Čuk wrote:
> Max, that solution works fine. I have tried it and it works fine for me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Anyway, do you know some issues with dropping traffic on em0 vlan
> enabled interfaces and  tcpdump-ing ? The average traffic, that we
> tcpdump is cca 10-20mbit/s and when tcpdump-ing, we get allmost 90%
> packet loss on interfaces. Any clue ?

Ugh, I know of such an issue, but was thinking that it should be fixed by now.
Can you make sure that you have your kernel/em(4) built with if_em.c 1.44.2.6
or later?  The effect should simply be that it disables VLAN hardware support
which doesn't seem to work with promiscuous mode.  You could also try to
disable it manually (ifconfig) to see if that improves on the packet loss.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org