buggy ATA controller: I can install 4.11, but not 5.3 !?!

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 06:43:28 PST 2005

--- Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> AFAIK the RZ1000 bug was that it would corrupt data
> to the slave channel if the primary channel was
> also active.  If you only have one device then
> you may not be able to reproduce it.

I have two harddisks on ata0:

 ad0: 520MB <ST3660A>
      [1057/16/63] at ata0-master BIOSPIO
 ad1: 2423MB <SAMSUNG WINNER-3 WN32543A(2.5GB)>
      [4924/16/63] at ata0-slave BIOSPIO

ad0 has the base OS, and ad1 has /usr/src and
/usr/obj for recompiling world and kernel.

So far no problems.
However, if I remember well, the other IDE connector
on the motherboard does not seem to work, which now
I realize could be caused by the buggy RZ 1000 chip.

> Do you have verbose boot output from the non-working
> 5.x boot?

No, not at the moment. I may try 5.3 (or probably
5.4) later once again. What part of the output would
be particularly interesting?
I ask, because I am managing this PC at the other end
of the world, giving instructions to a non-Unix,
non-FreeBSD user overthere :).

Regards,
Rob.