Problems with AMD64 and 8 GB RAM?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 30 15:38:28 PST 2005

[gratuitous empty lines removed]

On Wednesday, 30 March 2005 at 16:23:34 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> I don't understand what you mean here.
>>
>> As I said above (and trimmed for convenience), this problem occurs on
>> 5.4-PRERELEASE as of yesterday morning.  The dmesg shows that too.
>
> And you're certain that it's due to the same busdma issues that I
> was describing?

No.

> I must have missed the evidence that you use to support this.

I didn't give any.  It appears that I misunderstood what you were
saying.

>>> I don't see how you proved or disproved this.
>>
>> Shall I resend the original message?  It seems independent of any
>> particular driver.  That's not proof, of course, but I didn't claim it
>> was.
>
> Again, I must have missed the part where you investigated the drivers
> that apply to your particular system.

The description is still there.

> I highly doubt that they apply to every 8GB Opteron system available
> on the market.

I never suggested that they did.  There's every reason to believe that
it's something to do with this particular motherboard, but that
doesn't mean that FreeBSD is blameless.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.