WIFI access software

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Sun Mar 27 22:00:26 PST 2005

Jeff Seeman wrote:
> I have a client who has 3 restaurants and wants to provide wifi access
> to the customers. He wants to be able to control who and when it can be
> accessed. He is not planning on charging for the access at the moment
> but certainly would like that ability. I want to use freebsd, but can
> not find a software pkg that will allow me to do this. Does anyone have
> an idea or better yet implemented something like this?

If you don't absolutely have to use FreeBSD there are a number of hacks to wifi routers that will do what you want. The Linksys series seems to be the most popular. Google for things like HyperWRT, OpenWRT, eWRT, DD-WRT, Sveasoft (they're getting evil though).

I think DD-WRT uses chillispot that someone else mentioned.