buggy ATA controller: I can install 4.11, but not 5.3 !?!

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Mar 27 02:01:50 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:10:09 -0800 (PST)
Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have installed 4.11, without any problems,
> although the dmesg output has a line about buggy
> ATA controller (see below for dmesg output).

The controller is broken. For the whole ugly story, see
http://mindprod.com/eideflaw.html

> When I try to install 5.3 in this PC (using the

What does the dmesg say, if yor press "Scroll Lock" and page up in it?
Is your ata controller and / or disk detected at all?

> Moreover, 4.11 seems to be running fine on this PC.

Well, if it works, why don't you just keep it?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,