file /usr/src/etc/rc.d/network is not installed

Martin Jakob mjct at buerotiger.de
Sat Mar 26 12:03:52 PST 2005

Hi there,

I searched a way to activate new interface/network settings after changes to
/etc/rc.conf (defaultrouter, interface aliases, etc.). I found the
/etc/netstart script, which does what i want. In the script i found a
comment, which says, that this script is obsoleted by /etc/rc.network, but i
(well, actually locate) can't find this file anywhere.

I then browsed the cvs to search for this script.
I found in src/etc/rc.d/ the "network" script, which seems able to handle my
network reconfiguration demands. Yet, bravely copying it to /etc/rc.d and
executing it, does not work. It produces warnings like:
WARNING: $flushroutes is not set properly - see rc.conf(5). or
WARNING: $auto_ifconfig is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)
and the default route is not set.
(yeah, i read rc.conf as advised, but i still have no clue where to set this
variables).
So, maybe there is a cause this script is not installed?

What is the correct way to reconfigure the network (besides ifconfig and
friends :)?

the system:
FreeBSD freebsd.local 5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #1: Sat Mar 26
19:24:16 CET 2005     root at freebsd.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATLAS  i386

thanks in advance

--
Martin