[joe@jbdww.com: SIIG Multiport Card]

Kirk McKusick mckusick at mckusick.com
Wed Mar 23 20:44:50 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Joe Doran <joe at jbdww.com> -----

From: "Joe Doran" <joe at jbdww.com>
To: <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:25:47 -0600
Subject: SIIG Multiport Card

Hello,

            I am trying to us a SIIG 4 port Multi-port card on FreeBSD 5.3,
and I am having issues with the baud rate.

The kernel finds the four ports, and I can open them, but I am unable to
change the Baud Rate. It is stuck at 115,200.

I have this in my kernel config.

device  pcu

device sio

Thanks

JBD

----- End forwarded message -----

Joe,

I have the following configuration for my SIIG 4 port Multi-port card
on FreeBSD 5.3:

device		pcu
device		sio
options		COM_MULTIPORT

plus the added hints in /boot/device.hints (this assuming that you have
one on-board sio port. If you have two on-board ports, it would be 0x201.
See sio(4)):

hint.sio.1.flags="0x101"
hint.sio.2.flags="0x101"
hint.sio.3.flags="0x101"
hint.sio.4.flags="0x101"

When I boot up I get the following configuration from the card:

Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: puc0: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> port 0x7800-0x781f,0x7400-0x741f mem 0xfb007000-0xfb007fff,0xfb006000-0xfb006fff irq 20 at device 4.0 on pci3
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio1: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> on puc0
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio1: type 16550A (multiport master)
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio1: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio2: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> on puc0
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio2: type 16550A (multiport)
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio2: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio3: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> on puc0
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio3: type 16550A (multiport)
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio3: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio4: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> on puc0
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio4: type 16550A (multiport)
Mar 23 13:52:24 beastie2 kernel: sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

I am able to tip from one port on the SIIG card to another quite
happily, and I can change the baud information (at least to the
extent that I have to set it to the same baud rate on both ports
for them to be able to communicate with each other). But I am unable
to communicate from an SIIG port to any other RS-232 port (whether
native sio port or external such as a modem).

To try and get an understanding of what is going on, I attached my
dual trace scope to the send and receive lines. I observed the
following anomolies:

1) The SIIG port is outputting a signal at +/- 3v as compared to every
   other RS-232 which is at +/- 5v.

2) The SIIG appears to have a badly skewed clock, running at
   approximately 10x what it should be. That is when it is set at
   1800 baud, it is putting out characters that are about the same
   width as a normal port running at 19200 baud.

3) With no output, it has about a 0.2v jitter (high frequency hum)
   in its output.

4) It appears to be missing its final framing bit when it sends characters.

I tried finding a set of baud rates that would match character widths,
but even at 1800/19200 it is not quite right, and definitely is not
effective at transmitting characters between SIIG and non-SIIG ports.

I tried calling the SIIG support, but they seem limited to helping
with how to install under Windows systems. I have concluded that
the only viable way to use these ports is to buy two cards for the
two machines between which I wish to debug (as they do at least
seem able to talk to themselves). I am at a loss as to how to get
them to talk to anything else. I have previously used Cyclades,
but they want $500 for a PCI 4-port card. If you have found anything
else that work, I would love to hear about it.

	Kirk McKusick