Panic after plugging in an mp3 usb player, 5.4-PRERELEASE

J. T. Farmer jfarmer at goldsword.com
Wed Mar 23 11:46:45 PST 2005

Radek Kozlowski wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 03:28:06PM +0100, Marwan Burelle wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:48:37PM +0100, Radek Kozlowski wrote:
>>

>>>My 5.4-PRERELEASE/i386 as of today panics almost immediately after
>>>plugging in an mp3 usb player (Qware BeatZkey! Pro 512MB). I don't have
>>>device ehci in the kernel.
>>>

>>It's a common problem with some USB devices. You have to add some
>>quirk in sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c for your player.
>>
>>See more information at :
>>    http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/quirks.html
>>
>>I've got the same problem with mine, adding the rigth quirk
>>(DA_Q_NO_SYNC_CACHE for me) solves it. The difficult part is to think
>>out what to put to capture your player (and not the others ... )
>>

>Adding DA_Q_NO_SYNC_CACHE did the trick, thanks for the tip!
>
>-Radek

Is there any mechanism in place (other than sending a pr) to capture these
quirks for different devices?  I'm used to having to compile different
things to get what I want, but truthfully, I would much rather have it just
work out of the box...

Also, if the quirks are collected then perhaps that will lead to cleaner
handling of devices oddities....

John