Strange lockups - 5.4 PRERELEASE / BackupPC/ Samba3

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Thu Mar 17 11:33:43 PST 2005

My home server has been freezing at 1AM every night for the last three
days - this tracks with the upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 PRE - The only cron
job running at that time is BackupPC which uses samba3 (smbclient)  to
backup windows systems.

Does anybody know of anything in samba3 or perl 5.8 (BackupPC is a set
of perl scripts) that might be causing a lockup.  I've got nothing
unusual in syslog.

Right now I'm rebuilding perl and samba under 5.4 in case there is some
weird library thing between the 5.3 and 5.4 that is causing this - we'll
see tonight if it works.