Diagnostic tools for external hard drives?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Tue Mar 15 14:49:18 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:03:37 -0800 (PST)
Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> Firewire enclosures typically just have an ATA-FW bridge, so you may
> get better diagnostics and accessibility if you take the disk out of
> the FW box and plug it into an ATA channel.

I know, but Maxtor support have warned me that I will void my warranty
if I do that.
You are right, neither firewire nor USB (2.0) connection give any
useful  smart info. See my other reply in this thread.

> >From first glance at the errors I'd say the drive has problems.  If
> >its
> under warranty I'd just replace it :)

That is my plan, but I was trying to deduce if it is the drive or the
controller (firewire, usb) that is broken. if both interfaces was
broken, but the drive itself ok, I could still get the data off it, and
that would be useful.

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,