Flash player sound solution

Andre Albsmeier andre.albsmeier at siemens.com
Sun Mar 13 08:58:51 PST 2005

On Sat, 12-Mar-2005 at 22:21:35 -0800, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2005 05:42 am, James McNaughton
> <jtmcnaughton at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The Problem:
> >
> > Using native Mozilla and
> > linuxpluginwrapper/linux-flashplugin (on 4.10-stable
> > et al) to view flash content results in no sound and
> > occasional Mozilla freezes.
> >
> > The Solution:
> >
> > Run esd.
> >
> > How:
> >
> > I was searching the web for the solution, and got
> > nowhere. There didn't seem to be anyone who had gotten
> > it to work. Linux mailing lists noted a problem with
> > file permissions on /dev/snd or /dev/pcm* depending on
> > the sound system drivers installed. My /dev/pcm* file
> > permissions were all rw to begin with, so this didn't
> > help.
> >
> > I wondered what device the plugin was actually trying
> > to access, so I did "strings
> > /usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so"
> > and found /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. Nearby in the list
> > I noticed a few lines relating to esd. From a command
> > line I started esd and went back to view some content
> > that had previously frozen Mozilla, and there was
> > sound coming out my speakers and the browser did not
> > hang.
> >
> > I had long suspected the browser hangs were related to
> > sound in the flash content. My results seem to confirm
> > that suspicion.
>
> Do you have an example (or two or more) of a page that causes the crash?
> I'd like to test this on 5.3-R. I know I used to have an email around
> here somewhere with examples ...

Speaking of flashplugin crashes: There is some flash content
out there which makes my firefox crash (not due to sound but
for some other reasons). One example is:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5961030392

I'd like to know if other people also experience crashes
when viewing this page. The flash content isn't obvious
to find: When the page has opened search for the string
"Setzen Sie die Andale Gallery". Directly above is the
flash part. I can only view this page when disabling
the linux-flashplugin :-(

Thanks,

	-Andre