4.11 to 5.3 Any issues I should know before making the change.

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Mar 10 16:17:00 PST 2005

> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:02:22 -0500
> From: Brian Wolman <jeep at skywolf.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Just wanted to find out if there are any issues when jumping from the
> 4.11 to the 5.3. Like way out of the ordinary type problems, this jump
> for me is going to be very difficult as it is and I want to make sure I
> don't get a surprise...

Read the UPDATING section on updating from 4-Stable to 5.3. Only update
to 5.3_Release, not Stable. Read the UPDATING section on updating from
4-Stable to 5.3 again. Modify your kernel configuration for V5. (It is
often easier to start with a V5 GENERIC and adjust it to your needs
instead of trying to make all of the changes to your V4
configuration. If in doubt about any option, check /sys/conf/NOTES and
/sys/$ARCH/conf/NOTES. Read the UPDATING section on updating from
4-Stable to 5.3 again.

And, if I didn't already mention it, read the UPDATING section on
updating from 4-Stable to 5.3 again. Reading all of UPDATING is
encouraged, but that's a LONG file in 5.3. If you go to the last 7 or 8%
of the file, you will find the upgrade instructions. These are what is
critical. Don't skip any of the notes, either. I just did one of these
upgrades and I missed one note. It was a serious mistake that took
almost 3 hours to recover from. (This was a remote system. If it had
been local the delay would have been about 45 minutes.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)