Strange message while trying to recompile FreeBSD 4.6

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Mar 10 06:53:37 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:47:25 +0100
Peter Guhl <pgnews at siconline.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 15:28, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:13:47 +0100
> > Peter Guhl <pgnews at siconline.ch> wrote:
> > > I have an old box where 4.6.2-RELEASE has to be updated to the latest
> > > (last?) releng. After I made cvsup work compiling the kernel ends with:
> >
> > 	After a cvsup you must do a make buildworld before attempting
> > a make buildkernel, and building a kernel with config is not expected to
> > work.
>
> Oh... thanks. Then I probably was lucky since I did several
> kernel-builds without doing a buildworld before.

	It's often possible - but cannot be counted on.

> BTW: I did a cvsup to RELENG_4_6 ... and got to the conclusion that
> RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE is a much better idea. Am I right?

	Probably not - RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE is exactly what was
released as 4.6.2 - RELENG_4_6 is sure to have all the security fixes
on the 4.6 branch. I would not reccomend either now though as the
current stable release for 4.x is 4.11 and 4.6 is rather old.