1000baseTX?

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Sat Mar 5 20:42:49 GMT 2005

Peter Jeremy wrote this message on Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:56 +1100:
> On Fri, 2005-Mar-04 23:39:36 -0800, Doug White wrote:
> >On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Yoshiaki Kasahara wrote:
> >
> >> In man pages, dmesg and ifconfig of FreeBSD5, GbE operation over
> >> twisted pair is mostly referred as '1000baseTX'.  I guess most of them
> >> should be replaced by '1000baseT'.  1000base"TX" and 1000base"T" are
> >> different standard and they are not compatible ("TX" needs CAT6 cable
> >> and uses pairs in different way).  Also 1000baseTX support is very
> >> rare yet.  I'm sorry I'm not sure if some devices really support "TX".
> >
> >Do you have any documentation to back up this claim?
>
> I'm not sure about the pairing but there are two distinct standards
> for gigabit ethernet over UTP.  Try typing "1000base-t 1000base-tx
> differences" (without the quotes) into Google.

The interesting thing about that is that most sites talking about the
differences say 1000base-T require CAT-5e cabling, though the IEEE
standard says only CAT-5.. :)

And also the IEEE standard makes no mention of 1000base-TX...

So, I would say most modern cards are 1000base-T compatible, though
making sure we don't futz with an older card's description will be
difficult...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579