ABI broken for 5.4-PRERELEASE?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Mar 4 05:12:49 GMT 2005

Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday (MAR02,2005) I updated to 5.4-PRERELEASE. Since then,
> 'xsysinfo-1.4a' doesn't run anymore.
>
> The error message is: "xsysinfo: undefined symbol: _nfiles"
>
> I had the belief, that this does not happen within a major release of
> FreeBSD... isn't it?

This looks like an accident.  John Baldwin committed a fix to RELENG_5 a
few hours ago, so if you can update and retest, it would be appreciated.
Note the xsysinfo gropes around in KVM, which is highly fragile.  Most
of the information that it's looking for is available via sysctl's,
which are a lot more stable and reliable.  It would be nice if xsysinfo
was changed to use these instead.

Scott