kernel config: sound device with or without quotes

Marwan Burelle Marwan.Burelle at lri.fr
Wed Mar 2 11:15:59 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 02:46:41AM -0800, Rob wrote:
> In /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES is the list of supported
> sound devices. I get confused by the pressence and
> absence of quotes here. Are these quotes only
> decoration, or really needed. For example:
>
> device          "snd_ad1816"
> device          snd_cmi
>
> If they are needed, it confuses me why one sound
> device needs quotes, and another doesn't?
>
> How does that affect the use of loading them in
> /boot/loader.conf? How about following two:
>
> snd_ad1816_load="YES"
> snd_cmi_load="YES"
>
> Is that OK?

Yes, but this two different ways of configuring sound.

If you add "device snd_..." in your kernel's config file, you add it
directly to the kernel.

If you use loader.conf, you load the module at boot time, you don't
need to recompile your kernel.

I'm not sure, but if you directly add device to your kernel, the
module won't be built, and even if it's built, you have no reason to
load the module.

My 2c ...

--
Burelle Marwan,