Suppressing bounce messages in sendmail

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Mar 2 01:26:36 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:05, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > The local user sending the email on the system has it's email redirected
> > outside (to us back at base) so we're not the bounce messages provide
> > pretty much zero useful information and just slow the link down when it
> > does come back.
> >
> > Does anyone know how? I've seen DOUBLE_BOUNCE_ADDRESS which would help,
> > but it would be nice to suppress them all if possible.
>
> If you set DOUBLE_BOUNCE_ADDRESS and LUSER_RELAY to nobody, that will
> probably have an effect close to what you've said you want.  However, it is

OK thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

> likely that solving the problem another way-- such as not sending mail
> which is going to bounce-- would be a better idea.

Yeah, unfortunatly I don't think it is possible..

The systems have 2 users on them (root & radar) and root gets some email (eg
daily checks) and radar gets about zero (unless there is a problem with a
cron job). We redirect both of these to us back at base.

The radar user sends some email (status reports from the radar for example) so
if the network connection dies for a few days the outgoing emails start
bouncing  back to radar@ which then attempt to get sent to the outside world.

So we don't have any problems when the network is operating properly but
unfortunatly it can be rather variable in some places :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum