Can FreeBSD be installed on DellPowerEdge2800 ?

Kipp Holger h.kipp at eurowings.com
Tue Mar 1 18:20:04 GMT 2005

On Tue 01.03.2005 17:49, lhmwzy wrote:

Please reply to hk at alogis dot com. This is not my native
account.

> Subject: Can FreeBSD be installed on DellPowerEdge2800 ?

Yes

> Anybody did this?

Yes.

> Any help is appreciateed?

Boot from FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-CD and install. No problems
so far. You might want to disable USB within BIOS, though,
because they seem to be shared with other critical devices
(nics and raidcontroller). But I don't use USB anyway.
Then you might want to upgrade to 5-STABLE.

This is on Dell PowerEdge 2800 with 2GB ECC RAM,
4 x 36GB SCSI and amrd-Controller (PERC-4-something).

Binary copy of SAP 4.6C and Oracle 8 (from a working
installation on FreeBSD 4.x) works nearly without changes
(using emulators/linux_base-suse-9.1 and one additional
rpm (some compatibility-thing)).

Regards,
Holger Kipp