FreeBSD -STABLE servers repeatedly crashing

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Jun 28 19:25:24 GMT 2005

> Only way to find out is to try. You could build and install the non-SMP
> kernel and reboot when you can, or let it boot the new kernel next time
> the system(s) crash.
>
> A lot of the issues seem to be SMP-related. I really loaded up a GENERIC
> 5.4 kernel and wasn't able to get it to panic. What do you have to lose
> at this point?
>
> I would suggest that before committing to OpenBSD you verify that all
> the hardware/software you have/use is supported under OpenBSD:
>
> 	http://www.daemonnews.org/200104/bsd_family.html
> 	http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0311/msg01803.html
>
> As an example: I'm fairly sure OpenBSD has recently dropped (or will drop)
> support for the Adaptec aac driver as Theo is not happy with Adaptec's
> response to his queries for interface specs.
>
> From what I've head (YMMV) OpenSBD SMP support is not very optimal, possibly
> because it is likely that it was implemented extremely conservatively.
> OpenBSD MySQL with two CPUs can be slower than with one:
>
> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/27/1243207&from=rss
>
> Gary
>
> ps. it is a case of: cost, speed, reliability - choose any two.

Agreed, Theo just yelled at me cause I was having this discussion on the
OpenBSD misc mailing list, which is my fault :-/ ... a lot of people were
responding though and I think it just got out of hand.

As much as OpenBSD seems nice, my FreeBSD experience is a lot better.  I'm
going to switch to Uniprocessor and see if that makes us more stable.
Hopefully it will.

-Matt