libstdc++ version bump.

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 28 18:27:02 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 08:46:27AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I just got bitten by an upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.4 where my apps
> linked with c++ stopped working.  The solution I had to do was to
> copy an old 5.2.1 libstdc++ over my 5.4 one.  My question is, why
> wasn't the library version bumped for this incompatible change?

Because 5.2.1 was 5-CURRENT.  Not until 5.3 did we make any ABI stability
cares or guarantees.  It was a conscientious decision the release
management team made.  I'm sure one could have built a 5.2.1 kernel
module (.ko) that is broken on 5.3-RELEASE and 5-STABLE.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)