On recent crashes

Chris Phillips SysAdmin at Rainbow-IT.net
Tue Jun 28 16:14:43 GMT 2005

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Chris Phillips wrote:

>> Matt Juszczak wrote:
>>
>>> Other people I've seen complain seem to be running SMP.... Not sure
>>> if that has anything to do with it but its the only similiarity I can
>>> pull out from any responses I've gotten.
>>>

>> I have 5 modestly powered i386 boxes on 5.4-RELEASE and the only time
>> I have had any complaints regarding system stability, is when running
>> an SMP kernel AND Nagios (which is a known problem - I think it's with
>> Nagios rather than FreeBSD).  Otherwise, I'm almost completely happy.
>>

> Nagios remotely or locally?  I have nagios remotely that PINGS these
> machines constantly for uptime/downtime checks, but nagios isn't
> actually running on them as a process...

The main Nagios process, was running on the server that died.  It was
responsible for checking itself & the other hosts (and others not within
my responsibility, but equally important).

I'll be retrying running them Nagios on the SMP server, sometime soon
(like in a minute or two).