FreeBSD -STABLE servers repeatedly crashing.

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Jun 28 15:48:51 GMT 2005

> fsck -y        # or fsck and read every question, if you're paranoid
> mount -f /    # remounts root read/write
> mount /var
> savecore /var/crash
> exit
>
> Gary

Gary:

After it crashes, it locks up and hangs, no keyboard response, etc.
When I reboot, I go into single user mode and do:

fsck -p
mount -a -t ufs
savecore /var/crash /dev/da0s1b     (which is my swap)

It says no dump available.  These instructions are from the handbook.

I just got sent a patch a little while ago which apparently will help
the system not lock up.  I'm going to try it later today and see where
it gets me.

Thanks,

Matt