FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Michael Schuh michael.schuh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 12:47:09 GMT 2005

Hi,

i wouldn't start a principal discussion, but i have too?

I have one Machine! and on this machine with identical Hardware,
identical real! not same not side by side, real the same disk,
processor, ram, board......
--> read my other postings, it's recommendet.....

on this machine i have made 4 installations on same disk,
of 4 types/Versions of Os'es
1: RELENG_4
2: RELENG_5
3: Drangonfly_REL_1.2
4: GENTOO_2005_02

The disk was alway same partitioning:
first 1G for Swap
rest for system
then i login in the system and made:
# cd /; /usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1024k of=zerofile;
rm zerofile

then i install the next system from a dump on same disk....

so that i can compare the time-consumption on these 4 systems.
i think dd ist not the best for performace-tests or something else,
but dd is a handy tool for quick test what's going on with your system
write/read-speedness.

so other people have suggested me that dd was not everytime writes to
the same parts of diske, while the underlying fs-drivers made other
steps on other systems ( and other fs-types)

I would only compare the performace from 2 Versions of FreeBSD, while
i mean that the performance from RELENG_5 is more slower than under
GENTOO and it is double as slow as under RELENG_4.

i would not test the performance of my system, i would only compare.....

best regards
michael