SATA vs SCSI ...

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Mon Jun 27 03:15:18 GMT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 22:34, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> In fact, looking at the SATA 2.x specs, each chanell there is rated at
> 300MB/s, which, again, if I could 'max out evenly', could seriously
> blow away the SCSI bus itself ...
>
> *If* I'm reading this right ... ?

Bus speed does not equal drive speed. And while yes, SATA is now
approaching SCSI in bus speed, it doesn't mean that SCSI isn't standing
still. A 640 MB/s bus was standardized in 2003 (though SATA is planned
to go to 600MB/s in 2007):

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI#Ultra-640

This has been hashed out many times over the years in comp.periph.scsi
(it used to be IDE versus SCSI, not it's (S)ATA versus SCSI). A search
through the archives would probably return many results.

The SCSI FAQ [1] would also probably be useful. Specifically the
questions:

QUESTION: What are the pros and cons regarding SCSI vs IDE/ATA ?
	http://home.comcast.net/~SCSIguy/SCSI_FAQ/scsifaq.html#_Hlk407004722

QUESTION:Should I spend the extra money on SCSI or just get IDE?
	http://home.comcast.net/~SCSIguy/SCSI_FAQ/scsifaq.html#_Hlk407091459

QUESTION:Why do SCSI disks cost so much more than IDE/ATA disks?
	http://home.comcast.net/~SCSIguy/SCSI_FAQ/scsifaq.html#_SCSI_Cost002

[1] http://www.scsifaq.org/