5.4 Installer + Promise FT100TX2 = Loader crash

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sat Jun 25 06:10:58 GMT 2005

Hi,
I am updating an old 4.x system to 5.4 here and it has a Promise FT100TX2 RAID
controller (in mirror).

The problem is that when I boot the CD the loader crashes (does a reg dump)
but only if the card is present and an array is defined. I can't record what
the dump is because it continually sprays the dump down the screen which
makes it unreadable :(

I have seen this on an AMD64 system (I used the same RAID card in it) and got
the same problem. To work around it on that system I installed via the
motherboard IDE controller and then moved the disk over to the RAID
controller.

It only seems to affect booting the installer - once the system is installed
it boots from the RAID card just fine (!)

I just tried booting from floppy and that works (?!) although that method
doesn't probe my PS/2 keyboard for some reason :-/

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the RAID + CD boot problem?

Thanks.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum