dmesg queries

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Jun 24 17:32:56 GMT 2005

On Jun 24, 2005, at 12:09 PM, Chris Phillips wrote:

> Here's what has me writing... looking in /var/run/dmesg I see: -
>
> kernel: ioapic0: Changing APIC ID to 2
> kernel: ioapic1: Changing APIC ID to 3
> kernel: ioapic1: WARNING: intbase 32 != expected base 24
> kernel: ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
> kernel: ioapic1 <Version 2.0> irqs 32-55 on motherboard
>
> Should I be worried by that WARNING?

I see this as well on my PE800.

> Also in /var/run/dmesg I see: -
>
> kernel: Interrupt storm detected on "irq19: uhci0 uhci2";
> throttling interrupt source
> kernel: Interrupt storm detected on "irq18: bge0 uhci1+";
> throttling interrupt source

I get this as well.  I don't use USB so I turned that off at the BIOS
and removed it from my kernel, but I still get "interrupt storm" on
my bge0 device.  No idea why.

Performance is not all that great on this box disk-wise, but CPU wise
it is acceptably fast.  I run FreeBSD/amd64 on it rather than FreeBSD/
i386.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806