howto update freebsd 4.7 release to 4.7 stable

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Jun 21 11:31:24 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-Jun-21 09:16:30 +0700, Khanh Cao Van wrote:
>My custom use freeBSD 4.7 release and ask me to install JDK1.4 on it .
>But when I use ports to compile JDK , the system show me a message :
>
>You must have a version of FreeBSD later than 4.7-STABLE February 2003
>or 5-CURRENT February 2003 to compile and use JDK 1.4.2.

JDK 1.4 requires some threading changes that were (presumably)
introduced in February 2003.  Looking back at the CVS commit logs,
there were a large number of changes to the threading library during
January and February 2003 and it's not clear exactly what fixes
JDK is relying on.

If the only problem with JDK is the threading library, you may be able
to get JDK1.4 running by just upgrading libpthread to 4-STABLE:
# cd /usr/src/lib/libpthread
upgrade just this tree to 4-STABLE using whatever method you prefer
# make clean
# make all
# make install

I can't guarantee that this will work but it is probably your only
option to get JDK 1.4 working without doing a full upgrade.

>So I have to update my 4.7 release to 4.7 stable . But I do not know
>how to do make it . I've looking everywhere but could not find any
>clear document about it . Please help me !

4.7-STABLE is not a fixed package.  It refers to the RELENG_4 CVS
branch between the time that RELENG_4_7 was branched and RELENG_4_8
was branched (ie betweem 4.7-RELEASE and 4.8-RELEASE).  It is not
really practical to update to 4.7-STABLE once 4.8 has been released.

>PS : I'm not going to upgrade my kernel 4.7 to 4.8 or anything else ,
>just 4.7 only . Thank for reading !

Note that 4.7 is no longer supported by the FreeBSD project and I would
strongly recommend that you consider upgrading.  In particular, security
fixes are unlikely to be applied to 4.7.

Upgrading userland without upgrading the kernel is not supported in
general.

--
Peter Jeremy