re0 "no carrier" problem - Patches found in archives didn't work.

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sun Jun 19 16:33:33 GMT 2005

At 07:09 AM 6/19/2005, Marcin Koziej wrote:

>[04:12 19-06-2005] Tom Pepper <tom at blorp.com>
> > this may seem obvious, but do you still have the same issue if you
> > statically define the mediatype to a fixed link speed and duplex?
> > lots of interfaces have problems negotiating autoselect with
> > switches, as protocols vary widely.  the blinking is indicative of
> > autoselect setup woes...
>
>This wasn't obvious for me! Thanks for the answer!
>
>When I set the media by hand it showed 'active', but no data could
>be transmitted
>(yellow link diode on switch, not blinking). I then pulled the
>switch with my home
>lan from the wall and plugged my re0 instead - It worked!
>
>So this seems to be the %$R#(@%*$ switch issue. The funny thing is,
>that with media
>set manually (or sometimes with autoselect) everything works fine
>with this switch
>(i have used it all day yesterday till evening without problem).
>Now, when i wait
>some time with media manually set, it starts transmitting data and
>everything works fine.
>Why does it happen? Why is it so unpredictible? Can it be fixed in software,
>or should i throw the switch out the window and by a new one?

I may be replying to the wrong thread, but if I remember a previous
post, this is for a realtek gig-e card going to a gig-e switch...
Just another obvious point but you are using either Cat-5e or Cat-6
cables, right? Just thought I'd offer another obvious suggestion. :)

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain