FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Thomas Hurst tom.hurst at clara.net
Fri Jun 17 18:36:22 GMT 2005

* David Sze (dsze at alumni.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:

> super-smack select-key
>         5.4-RELEASE             ~20,000 queries/second
>         6.0-CURRENT             ~24,000 queries/second
>         CentOS w/async  ~36,000 queries/second
>         CentOS w/sync   ~26,000 queries/second

Uh, this should be an entirely cached set of reads, why does mounting
sync reduce performance this much?  Does FreeBSD see a similar boost
with async mounts?

> super-smack update-select
>         5.4-RELEASE             ~4,000 queries/second
>         6.0-CURRENT             ~4,500 queries/second
>         CentOS w/async  ~7,500 queries/second
>         CentOS w/sync   ~750 queries/second

Is this even relevent?  Async is by far the most common setup on Linux,
one which seems very stable and safe, especially on XFS/Reiser.  Of
course if FreeBSD can't match Linux/async performance, but still perform
like this on a potentially safer sync mount, that's fine by me, but I'm
having trouble buying that select-key performance.  Even standalone
multi-second and non-concurrent selects demonstrate this 30-40% lower
performance than Linux on the same hardware.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/