NFS upgrading from 5.2.1->5.4

Mars G. Miro marsgmiro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:22:57 GMT 2005

On 6/15/05, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Mars G. Miro <marsgmiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If the build machine and install machine were at the same -RELEASE
> > > number, I don't believe you would have come across this problem.
> > >
> > I'm not sure I get you but the purpose of making the world in FreeBSD
> > is ought to be able to upgrade across releases (some people even
> > report upgrading from major releases, e.g 4.X to 5.X), albeit minor
> > hurdles (like the one I've experienced).
> >
> Normally this would work, when the build machine and the install
> machine are the same computer.  But when you NFS mount the the built
> sources on another system it may or may not work.  For example you
> wouldn't build the sources on a 5.x system and then NFS mount the
> built sources to a 4.x system.  The reason is that the build system
> custom tailors the build tools for the 5.x system, and they will most
> likely not run on the 4.x system.

True. But let's assume that we're not upgrading from major releases
(4.X to 5.X), as it's even discouraged to do so, but only from the
same minor release/branch (e.g. 5.2.1 to 5.4, or 4.4 to 4.10), I don't
think that NFS-mounting the built sources would not work, as the
build{kernel|world} stage only builds the kernel and world at
/usr/obj. In my own experience, it generally works, in fact, this
doesn't only work for NFS but for remote upgrades as well, I've done
something like building the kernel/world in a ultrafast box, tar
bzip'ing /usr/src and /usr/obj, uploading them unto a remote server
that desperately need to be upgraded and doing the install
kernel/world on that remote server.

> Scot

cheers
mars