FreeBSD 5.4 SMP kernels now available via FreeBSD Update

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 00:36:13 GMT 2005

Billy Newsom wrote:
> Colin Percival wrote:
>> It sounds like the SMP kernel I provided for FreeBSD 5.3 was quite
>> popular [...]
>
> I'm curious how popular.  Would you like to report some statistics here
> on the list?  As in, how many SMP downloads did you get, say, in
> comparison to the GENERIC?

Ok, I've gone through my log files, and it looks like the number of systems
downloading SMP kernels is around 4% - 6% of the number of systems downloading
GENERIC kernels.

That said, I don't think this should be used as a measure of how popular SMP
is on FreeBSD systems overall, since people with high-end SMP systems are more
likely than average to build their own kernels rather than using those which
I distribute and the availability of SMP kernels via FreeBSD Update wasn't
very widely advertised.  It is probably safe to conclude that _at least_ 5%
of FreeBSD systems have more than one processor, but I suspect that the actual
value is considerably higher than that.

Colin Percival