New Server - To 5.x or Not To 5.x

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Tue Jun 14 17:05:07 GMT 2005

I've been running FreeBSD 4.x for eons now, mainly because of the fact
that she's "known" in our environment ... UNIONFS isn't perfect, but all
of the obvious/major bugs have been worked out of her, etc ... but, she's
also a dead branch, so any outstanding bugs, nobody is interested in
fixing them, let alone having reported ...

I'm just in the process of putting together a new server, and based on
some stuff I've heard recently concerning work that has been done on
UNIONFS, I'm tempted to put 5.x onto this new server, to start bringing my
servers into the 'current age' ...

Is there anyone out there using 5-STABLE and UNIONFS that are happy with
it, or is it still very problematic?

Again, the key thing right now for me is UNIONFS, so I'm looking mainly
for feedback from ppl that *are* using it, not just reading the end of the
man page ...

Thanks ...

----