UFS2 partition with negative used space

Suleiman Souhlal ssouhlal at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 10 03:35:21 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:22 PM, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Filesystem                             Size    Used   Avail
> Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1e                            989M    -46M    956M
> -5%    /var/tmp
>
> Any hints?

During a private discussion I had with Jean-Yves, we have  determined
that the problem was due to the cylinder group summary being stale.

It used to be recomputed by the kernel at mount time if the
filesystem was dirty, but delphij changed it so that background fsck
recomputes it instead. For some reason, in this case, this wasn't
enough to synchronize the superblock's cg summary with the actual
summary stored in the cgs. I'll have to investigate some more.

In the meantime, a fsck -y is enough to fix it.

Bye.
Suleiman Souhlal     | ssouhlal at vt.edu
The FreeBSD Project  | ssouhlal at FreeBSD.org