FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?GCC broken for amd64 ? (was Re: FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 9 19:22:42 GMT 2005

> Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:01:54 +0200
> From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at flat.berklix.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Pete French wrote:
> > > "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at flat.berklix.net> writes:
> > > 	GCC 3.4.2 on 5.4-RELEASE has a bug for amd64,
> > > 		I started avoiding that by putting
> > > 			CFLAGS=              -O0
> > > 		in /etc/make.conf
> > > 		More info from:
> > > 			Message from "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org>
> > > 		of "Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:26:15 PDT."
> > > 			 <20050602082615.GA36096 at dragon.NUXI.org>
> >
> > This worries me a lot, but I have not been able to locate the
> > quoted email!
>
> I searched my local personal archive of FreeBSD amd64 postings with
> find & grep & found the item, then with that item, sorted mail
> archive presentation on FreeBSD site, to now quote you
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2005-June/005107.html
>
> > (how do you make the archives search on message ID?)
>
> I dont know if that's possible.
> I tried the message id into the search box on front page of freebsd site,
> but it did not find what I wanted.

You can't make the archive search, but Google Groups can (and does) very
well. I search the mail list archives far more frequently with Google (or
Google Groups) than with the archive search tool.

Note that not all FreeBSD mailing lists are present in Google Groups,
but most message-ids can be found in either. Google gets around.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)