RPC: Port mapper failure on 5-STABLE

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Thu Jun 9 15:45:10 GMT 2005

Just cvsupped from 5.4-RELEASE to this afternoons stable. Did the usual
trick of waiting a few minutes and ding it again to make sure I hadnt caught
it mid-patch or something.

Install everything, all works fine except for NFS. From 'showmount' I
get "RPC: Port mapper failure" no matter what I do.

Everything I;ve seen on the net says this is something to do with
problems connecting to the remote host, but even if I do a simple
'showmount -e' to show exports from the local machine I get the
same error. Both mountd and rpcbind are running. If I stop rpcbind
and restart it in debugging mode I get no useful information. The same
errors come from showmount whether its running or not.

During boot when I try and mount the removte filesystems I get the
following error:

[udp] smaug:/words: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

Help! I'm totally stuck, and google doesnt provide any answers. This worked
ten minutes ago under 5.4-RELEASE. Should I just reevert, or is somsone
interesting in getting some more reports out of this about the problem ?

-pcf.