FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 19:04:26 GMT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Matthias Buelow wrote:
>> Me too, but a lot has changed since 5.2.1 which at the time was I
>> think
>> was called a preview.  The topic is 5.4R.  What parts of the OS do
>> you
>> feel are not production ready as compared to 4.X ?
>
> I won't go into the details here; it has crashed and frozen on me on
> several occasions, it behaves badly when you do things it does not
> expect, like pulling a mounted USB stick,

Yanking a mounted device out from under Unix has always been a no-
no.  It would be nice if FreeBSD handled this better, but this
problem falls into the "operator error: don't do that" category.

> it doesn't have working software RAID (Ok, vinum never worked properly
> but that's a different story),

This is a valid point-- the migration to 5.x and gvinum has not been
pretty, and there are some gotchas lurking when people try to deal
with multi-terabyte RAID arrays, MBR vs GPT, and so forth.

However, it's common to find half-decent hardware RAID functionality
on many x86 and AMD64 motherboards, and PCI-based RAID cards are not
very expensive.  I'd rather use RAID in hardware than software,
myself, but if you think the current status of software RAID in 5.x
isn't production ready, that strikes me as an understandable position
to hold.

> and it's performance is sub-par.

5.3 and earlier especially have struck me as being noticably slower
than 4.10 or so, but there have been significant improvements since
then, and 5.4 and 4.1x seem to be comparable.  To do better than a
broad generalization, however, you really need to pick some tasks and
do real benchmarking to compare what is really going on.

--
-Chuck