FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Wed Jun 8 18:04:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:42:45PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >I remember 5.2.1 panicking left and right, on several machines, it was
> >completely unusable.  Maybe we just live in different universes.
>
> Me too, but a lot has changed since 5.2.1 which at the time was I think was
> called a preview.  The topic is 5.4R.  What parts of the OS do you feel are
> not production ready as compared to 4.X ?

Personnally, when upgrading from 4.x to 5.x, we ran into the following
3 issues that are still not fixed in 5.4:

kern/80617:
Hangup writing large blocks to NFS mounted FS    (Patches available)
Not exremely important: just don't do that.

kern/79208:
i387 libm's floorf(), ceilf() and truncf()       (Fixed in RELENG_5)
PITA when running threaded calculations.

kern/78824
socketpair()/close() race condition              (Fixed in CURRENT)
Patch will be MFC'd to RELENG_5 soon.

Anyway: you won't catch me running an unpatched 5.4 system... I'd say
stick with RELENG_5 for the time being.

Zlo