Show stopper for large disks with 5.4-RELEASE

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Wed Jun 8 12:52:54 GMT 2005

Hi, Pierre,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:31:37PM +0200, Pierre DAVID wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are setting up a mail server for ~50 000 users, with around 1.8TB
> on a DAS storage (HP MSA 500).
>
> We were planning to use FreeBSD (5.4-RELEASE), as with all other
> servers in our machine room.
>
> However, we are encountering a show stopper: after an unclean
> shutdown, the snapshot that fsck creates is taking too much time
> (more than 20 minutes). During the most part of this time, all I/O
> are frozen on this large disk, so the server cannot serve our
> clients. Our SLA constraints do not allow us to have these recovery
> times.

Would you please provide a bit more of information so we can investigate
what was happening, like:

	- first few lines dumpfs(8) output from your storage filesystem
	- df -i on your storag filesystem
	- dmesg.boot from your /var/run

I think the delay is too long.  Taking a snapshot on a large volume
is slow, but should not be that slow :-)  We run similiar mail server
at company, but with ~10x of users and 2x storage (divided into two
RAID groups).  Hope I would be able to provide some help.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.