FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Jun 8 01:57:14 GMT 2005

At 08:13 PM 07/06/2005, David Hogan wrote:
>using 5.4 arent having any problems .. it's just my general impression that
>"something's up" with the stability of the 5.4 release.

It always depends on what hardware you are using, whether RELENG_4 or
RELENG_5.

>If I were to deploy
>a server right now, would a seasoned FreeBSD user use 4.11 or 5.4?

RELENG_5 for sure.  We have a number of CPU intensive boxes (20+)  handling
mail / virus scanning and IPSEC terminations.  They are the way go to.  Our
mail routers can get blasted with a good 1000+ processes at times.. Again,
no issues.

IPSEC is a good example where you have a more stable box in RELENG_5 then
RELENG_4.  There are a number of bugs and issues in RELENG_4 that are gone
in RELENG_5

         ---Mike