Debug help - 5.3 lockups on amd64 SMP

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at seton.org
Mon Jun 6 17:01:23 GMT 2005

All,

      I am experiencing lockups on a production 5.4 amd64 SMP system.
Its lightly loaded and seems to last about 3-5 days before it stops
responding to network or even console interaction. The system is acting
as a firewall and runs a mostly stock kernel with IPV6 removed and SMP,
PF, PFLOG, CARP and ALTQ added. The only other thing I can think to note
is that tcpdump is running constantly on the pflog interface to coax
human readable firewall logs out of pf.

     I have an identical hot spare server with SMP disabled that has
taken over flawlessly every time the live lock occurs so I am willing to
leave the primary in the production environment to do testing and gather
debug info. I have added the following options to primary fw kernel
config ...

# Debug Options
makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
options         DDB
options         KDB
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS
options         WITNESS_KDB
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

... and the following to the rc.conf ...

dumpdev="/dev/amrd0s1h"
dumpdir="/var/crash"

Will this do it or should I add anything else?

Thanks in advance,

-Matthew