5.4-RC2 freezing - ATA related?

Thomas Hurst tom at hur.st
Sat Jun 4 17:11:58 GMT 2005

* Søren Schmidt (sos at FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:

> > Save me Søren!
>
> You have picked some of the most dreaded HW out there thats for sure,
> so I'm not sure I can do that :)

Meh, the BP6 might be old, but what's wrong with it?  I've used it for
the past half a decade practically 24/7 and this is the first time
I've had problems with it.  The Athlon is using a good quality Epox
motherboard and a moderately expensive SATA card using about the most
common SATA controller there is.

If you have recommendations for good controllers/etc, I'm very
interested :)

> Anyhow, you should try a recent -current since some of the race/
> timeout problems thats possible in 5.x has been fixed there.

I'll give it a try when I have time.  These are my work machines, so I
do need some stability, but I do follow current@ and cvs-all, so I guess
I can manage :)

One thing I find very odd about this is raw IO doesn't seem to have a
problem; gmirror happily syncs 400G of data between two drives without a
hitch, but the instant I mount the drive and attempt to copy something
to it, I get an immediate timeout.

After upgrading to RELENG_5 of last night (+ATA mkIII), the timing
out drive on the Athlon is now popping off the controller instead of
recovering; no amount of atacontrol reinits/detach/reattach gets me
anything more than:

  Master:      </> ATA/ATAPI revision 0

Since I can't even make the drives run in PIO mode for some reliability,
I guess I have little to loose in migrating to -CURRENT.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/