filesystems not properly unmounted

yuval levy yuval_levy at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 22:54:54 GMT 2005

--- "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer at goldsword.com> wrote:

> yuval levy wrote:
>
> >--- Dick Davies <rasputnik at hellooperator.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >>* Yuval Levy <yuval_levy at yahoo.com> [0647 15:47]:

> >>description it seems to me

> >>(assuming Maxi's root

> >>If it's a pain to remeber, maybe try sticking
> >>something in rc.shutdown?
> >>

> >Thank you for trying to help, but I do not find
> this
> >reply helpful. That's a quick and dirty fix, not a
> >solution.
> >
> >How would you feel if your car dealer would tell
> you
> >that the car is just fine, you only have to
> remember,
> >every time before you start it, to chew a gum and
> >stick the chewing gum on that little hole from
> where
> >some liquid spills before you start it?
> >
> >Quick and dirty fixes are ok for the short term,
> but
> >this issue has been around for too long. I wish I
> had
> >the knowledge to fix it...
> >

> Bad analogy.  It's not his responsibility to fix it
> either temporary
> or permanent.  He's more like a another driver (just
> like you,
> driving a similar car/OS) that is passing by.  He's
> suggesting
> a way for you to function (eg, get home) until a
> better/permanent
> fix is found.
>
> John

I did not imply it was his responsibility to fix the
issue. Like you say, John, he is like another driver
driving a similar car. We are both stuck with this
issue. But I was talking of those driver considering
this car model. Would you buy a car that is known to
have issues?

Anyway, I am just trying to stirr some talk and get
some attention to an issue which I find important.
Maybe somebody with the appropriate skills will read
this and fix the issue.

In my opinion, an O/S that can not handle the most
popular file systems is handicapped in a world of
increasing diversity.

Even worse, in my opinion, is a O/S that has tools to
handle a file system but does it in a way that can
result in data loss.

Users like me will see it as an O/S fault and will
move to another O/S.

As I stated when I first got into this issue, it is
temporary for me since the machine affected will be
migrated to UFS once the new RAID subsystem is
installed. Nevertheless I believe that the issue is a
serious handicap and should be fixed. I do not have
the skills to fix it, else I'd give it a try.

Is there anybody out there that know how to fix the
problem of ext2 partitions in freebsd?

Yuv