libpthread problem (segfaults)

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Wed Jun 1 05:25:19 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've built a new installation, and I'm no longer seeing my old problem,
but a new one. I have a small Qt based application. As soon as I try to
open any dialog (no matter whether it's a standard open file dialog or
one I wrote myself), It aborts with

Fatal error 'Recurse on a private mutex.' at line 988 in file
/usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 0)

The backtrace is as you describe:

> I may be hitting a manifestation of the same problem.  With a freshly
> installed AbiWord (ports tree cvsup'd approximately 1 week after
> 5.4-RELEASE was announced, portupgrade performed) on a 5.4-RELEASE system,
> it crashes whenever the "Open" dialog is opened.  The backtraces are
> next to useless, though there does seem to be a number of Pthreads
> calls in progress (pthread_mutexattr_init, pthread_testcancel, and
> pthread_timedwrlock).

Other people seem to have run into this too. I've found ports/81148
( http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=81148 ).

The PR points to a libtool problem. It says that using
USE_LIBTOOL_VER=15 instead of USE_LIBTOOL_VER=13 should solve the problem.

I'll be recompiling some things then, I'll report on whether it helps.

Benjamin